Going anonymous since I was to save my ass. I am writing a long-ass answer, hoping everyone reads this and understands the ground-reality, so to speak. This is from the collective experience of mine, my juniors and seniors so there about 8 years of trends I see.
The worst thing about SRM isn’t what you guys think it is. Surprised? Let me elaborate.
- It is not the placement situation: SRM usually doesn’t lie about placements. Sure, there are plenty of stupid rules like
- If you get a core offer, you can only attend DREAM, if you get DREAM offer, you cannot attend anything else at all. EVER!
- You can only attend interviews if the salary offered is at least close to 2x the offer you have.
- Ban/temporary ban for missing recruitment due to sickness or other reasons (????). I am sick and I will miss more because of your red-tape non-sense?
But all this is done to ensure many students get an offer. SRM network is wide enough that you can even try off-campus through referral and get in.
- It isn’t drug problems (There isn’t a drug problem or menace FYI): Yes. Some students take drugs, I would say 5% of the students. < 0.00001% take hard-drugs. Most of them take Marijuana (Ganja). Yes, They are a sizeable population enough to be an annoyance to teetotallers. Yes, they are your typical idiots who base their entire identity around this habit of theirs.
And yes, if you are a typical good boy, you should avoid these idiots, and you will sail through college as a teetotaller only. So there it is. PS: Don’t get influenced by them.
Note: Most colleges have this problem – so this isn’t something SRM specific.
- It isn’t almost sex-positive culture.
Yes, there is plenty of relationship drama(cough) in college. Yes, the university attracts plenty of people – who come to SRM just because they can get laid. Yes, tinder is a common thing here. And yes, many students (particularly, women) hide and blatantly lie about the fact that they are promiscuous – sometimes even from future boyfriends or husbands.
If you wanna avoid all this drama, you will find a conservative population who aren’t all that social (read between the lines) and you should join them.
But hey, in the end, everybody is cordial and maintain a good friendship.
If you are worried if your son or daughter will fall in love with the wrong person – this is a valid thing to worry about. There are plenty of good-looking people around – and many people ignore their personality/character until it is too late.
This is something specific to SRM, VIT, and Manipal – enough that, they even tell you about what to do if you get pregnant in your orientation. Kudos to them for this. But goddamn it a sizeable population here is looking for conquests, so to speak – and not academics. But you do you.
- And no, it isn’t bro “SRM covers up suicides bro”:
Seriously. There is a couple of suicide at max a year – same as compared to any institution (ok maybe not KOTA).
SRM doesn’t drive students to suicide. Seriously, it is a very chill college.
Students resort to this due to personal troubles (Read: Love-failure, Death of a Parent, etc.)
Sure, the newspaper clipping would mention a “University in Kanchipuram” – but here you have to read between the lines. SRM doesn’t stop people from talking about any such events actively.
The real risk of death is the KTR highway. I know plenty of people who have died driving to KTR (only 1 in a car accident though). Please wear a helmet and nobody wants to see how fast you can drive in the Ninja paid for by your father. Most likely, you are going to get crushed by the 16 wheeler lunatic driving on that road, so please STFU and save the rest of us the trouble of calling up your parents and giving them the bad news.
And yes, Bullying and ragging are punishable by IMMEDIATE expulsion – SRM is VERY strict about this. VERY. There is an anti-ragging committee, give them a call and you will get justice.
In my batch, my senior’s and current juniors’ (Over 8 years) – I know of 1 drug-related suicide btw, 2 love-failure-related suicides. But a lot of accidents.